Pixel Perfect — Fractionated Skin Resurfacing

Schedule a Consult

Questions & Answers

Is Pixel Perfect Painful?
Pixel Perfect Laser treatments can be performed without anesthesia and are well tolerated by most patients. To ensure your comfort, however, we recommend a topical anesthetic be applied prior to your treatment. Most patients experience very little discomfort during the treatment. Post treatment, the treated area will feel like a sunburn.

How long is the treatment time?
Procedure times can vary depending on the areas you are having treated. Most treatments are completed within 20 minutes.

How long is my recovery time?
Individual recovery periods vary from person to person. Most people are fully healed within 7 days.

Pixel Perfect is an erbium fractionated laser used to resurface your skin. Pixel Perfect helps to remove years of sun damage, stimulate collagen, improve lines and wrinkles, diminish acne scars, tighten the skin, restore a smooth texture to your skin, remove brown spots, reduce the appearance of pores and restore a radiance to your skin that you may not have seen in years.

How It Helps

Pixel Perfect fractionated laser creates thousands of microscopic perforations in the skin which stimulates collagen and removes the unwanted signs aging on the surface of the skin. While the entire area of concern is treated, in any one treatment session, about 20-30% of your skin is resurfaced leaving the remaining 70% of skin between these perforations untouched and healthy. This allows for quick healing and minimal discomfort.

 

What to Expect

1 hour prior to your treatment, a topical anesthetic will be applied to the treatment area to ensure optimal comfort during the Pixel Perfect procedure.

Following your laser treatment, your skin will feel warm to touch and sting as though you have had a sunburn. Your skin will be red and covered with hundreds of tiny pale colored crusty dots. Over the next 24 hours your skin will become darker red in color and the light colored crusty dots will become dark crusty dots. By the 3rd day facial redness has diminished greatly, if not fully, for most patients and over the next 4 days the small crusty dots flake off. Most patients are fully healed by day 7 post treatment.

Most discomfort (think sunburn) occurs in the first 12 to 24 hours and is easily managed by keeping your skin moisturized at all times, keeping your skin cool (you may mist your skin with cold water, place a cool, clean wash cloth on your skin and even periodically use a frozen bag of peas (but always keep a cloth between the frozen pea bag and your skin). You may also want to take ibuprofen for the first 12 hours after your treatment.

How to Prepare

Do not wear make-up or lotions and come to your appointment with a freshly cleansed face. Arrive 1 hour prior to your scheduled time so that a topical anesthetic may be applied. If you have a history of cold sores (even one episode in your lifetime) and we are treating your face, notify our office as we will have you take an antiviral medication prior to  your treatment.

Post-Care Instructions

Following your treatment do not pick, rub or use a micro-exfoliator or schedule a facial, waxing or other aesthetician service for at least 14 days following your treatment.

You do not want to manually remove dry, rough, flaking skin, it will slough off within the standard healing time of approximately 5-7 days. Do not be concerned if your skin takes on a rough, patchy, darkened quality a few days following treatment. This is normal and expected and will resolve on its own within 7-10 days.

Do not shave for at least 48 hours following your treatment. If possible, it is preferable to use an electric razor for shaving as it results in less irritation to the skin.

Do not work out or perform heavy manual labor for 48 hours post laser treatment. Do not swim in chlorinated water or salt water for 7-10 days following treatment. These environments have a different pH balance and can cause irritation to your skin. In addition do not wax any treated area by laser for 14 days following your treatment.

You may resume your normal skin care regimen 14 days after your treatment.